Being a hardcore Apple fan is not easy. Apple products have their large and steady fanbase, and whoever works on a Mac doesn’t go back to PC. However, for Social Media Managers wanting to simplify posting on social media, doing it from the Mac computer or MacBook needs some tweaking.
That’s because there is no official Instagram for Mac app. That means you can browse your Instagram feed, see photos, videos and stories. But you cannot upload photos or posts.
When you post on a regular basis, it is more convenient to do it from your computer or laptop. This allows you to schedule and have the images ready.
So, you start looking for tutorials online but most are for posting from PC. If you are frustrated because you want to post on Instagram from your MacBook don’t despair, here at Uniclix we prepared this quick guide to help you do it in a few steps. Let’s start.
New to Instagram? Here you have a complete guide on How to Post on Instagram
How to Post on Instagram from your Mac
While you cannot use the Instagram website to upload photos, you can make Instagram “think” you are on your iPhone. Doing this allows for photo uploads.
Follow these steps to trick Instagram into thinking you are on an iPhone and upload images:
Stage 1: Making Instagram think you are on your iPhone
- Open your Safari browser.
- Go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced.
- Toggle on Show Develop Menu in the menu bar.
- Now you can go to the Instagram website and log in to your account.
- Select Develop (from the menu bar) > User Agent > Safari – iOS 12.1.3 – iPhone (or the newest version).
- Wait for the Instagram website to reload or manually refresh.
- You’ll see the mobile version of the site, including uploading features.
Stage 2: Uploading photos to Instagram from your Mac
Now you can upload your photos from your Mac. Here’s how you do it:
- Tap the + icon at the bottom of your Instagram feed.
- Browse on your computer for the image you want to post. Once you select it, click Choose.
- You can edit the image, add a filter, change the structure or rotate it , just like from your iPhone.
- When you are ready, write a caption and click Share.
You can see how to do it with this YouTube video.
Stage 3: Uploading photos to Instagram Stories from your Mac
What about uploading photos to Stories? Since Instagram launched Stories, the feature has become the most popular. You can upload your Stories easily from your Mac following these steps:
- Select Your Story icon that is in the top left of the screen.
- Browse for the image you want to post and select Choose.
- You’ll see a preview of your picture, where you can add stickers or GIFs or draw on the image.
- If you want to add text, just click on the Aa on the top right. Write, then select Done for the text to appear.
- When you’re done, click on Add to your Story.
Related content: 6 tips to Create Engaging Instagram Stories Using GIFs
What’s the downside?
- It only works with portrait images, since landscape images get cropped at the sides.
- You cannot upload videos.
How can you work around these downsides? Well, one way is to use the Vivaldi browser. According to this tutorial, you can upload videos and photos without complications:
- Once you download the browser, enter to the Instagram homepage and log in.
- Click on the + icon on the left.
- When the Instagram URL appears under Add Web Panel, click on it.
- Then a page will appear on the left with the mobile version of the Instagram website.
- According to the Vivaldi team, now you could add images to your Instagram Story from the camera icon or to your Instagram Feed from the + icon.
Why posting on Instagram from your Mac?
In a word: convenience. If you are an influencer, small business or social media manager, chances are you are posting on Instagram every day, sometimes twice a day —that is, if you follow our recommendations to post 1-2 times a day on Instagram for maximum engagement—.
Let’s say you want to plan all the posts for the week, how do you do that from your phone? Very cumbersome. Using your computer allows you to have all the images ready, the captions written and the content planned before you start posting.
Take it up a notch by using an Instagram scheduler. This will help you plan all your posts in advance and give you visibility on your content strategy.
Not sure which Instagram scheduler to use? We prepared a review of the Top Instagram Schedulers of 2021.
How to Use Uniclix to Schedule and Post to Instagram
Uniclix is a complete solution for Social Media Management and Instagram solution. So, if you want to simplify your Instagram posting, let’s see how you can do it with Uniclix in a few, simple steps:
- If you don’t yet have an UniClix account, go to www.uniclixapp.com. Register for a 14-day free trial.
- Connect your Instagram account to the app.
- Create your first post.
- In the dashboard, go to Create Post
- Add an Image/video, write your captions and add emojis.
- If you try to upload an image not compatible with Instagram, the app will let you know. For example, in the above image, the file is a .PNG, so you get a notification that Instagram requires the image to be a JPEG.
- On the right, you can see your post preview, so you can check how it will look once you post it on Instagram.
- Schedule your post
- On the bottom right corner, select your posting option. Post Now, Schedule Post, Post at Best Time.
- To schedule your post, select the date and time you want the post to appear.
- Don’t forget to select your post category.
- If you select Add to queue, the app will post at the next best time for your audience.
- You’re set! Your Instagram post will appear at the time it can get the most engagement.
With Uniclix Social Media Manager, you can create entire Instagram campaigns, promotions, special offers and have them at hand in the app. Then the app will publish them at the selected time.
Start now with a successful Instagram strategy with UniClix, register for your free 14days trial now