Do you have a great post to publish in Instagram but trouble choosing a single image? You don’t need to choose just one image for your Instagram post. Create a post with multiple images or a carousel.
How? Here at UniClix we’ll walk you through the step by step process and answer some frequently asked questions.
New to Instagram posting? Check our How to Post on Instagram: A Step-by-Step Guide.
How to Upload Multiple Photos into a Single Instagram Post?
The basic step-by-step process:
- Tap the + icon in your main Instagram feed screen.
- Tap Library, you’ll see the most recent photos in your camera roll or gallery.
- Swipe in the thumbnail photos and tap the first photo you want to add
- Tap the select multiple icon (the stacked slates icon)
- Tap as many thumbnails you want to add. The selected photos appear dimmed and the number indicates the order of appearance in the post.
Important: if you select a photo and later you don’t want it, tap the thumbnail photo again to deselect.
- When you finish, tap Next. Now you can edit the photos.
Editing and Rearranging the Pictures on Your Multiple-Picture Instagram Post
How many pictures photos you can upload to a single post?
You can upload up to 10 photos and videos to a single post in your Instagram Feed. However, for maximum engagement it is best to keep the number of pictures under 5 to avoid tiring the users.
Can you adjust the size and orientation of the photos?
To adjust how a photo fits in the frame you can tap it and touch the screen to crop it or zoom to it. The orientation you choose (square, portrait or landscape) is the same for all the pictures and videos.
How to Edit the photos in your multiple-photos post
Once you selected the images you want to post, tap “Next”. You’ll see then all selected photos and the filter choices.
To edit a number of pictures:
- Tap all the photos you want to edit.
- Choose a filter
- The filter will apply to all the photos and videos you chose.
To edit an image or video individually
- Tap the photo or video you want to edit.
- Apply the filter you choose.
Change the order of your photos and videos
Here you have two options:
- Tap and hold the first one you want to rearrange and drag it to another spot.
- Deselect the pictures you selected and select them into a different order.
Remove a photo or video from your post
- Tap and hold the first one you want to remove and drag it to the trash bin.
Tags, location and captions
Once you have all .the pictures you want to post, in the order you wish to post them, you’ll see the screen to add tags, location and caption for the post.
Do you want to know how to craft the best captions for Instagram? Check our Instagram Captions: Make Your Posts Stand Out
- Keep in mind that you can add one location and caption for the entire post
- You can, however, tag other user in each individual photo. To do that:
- Tap Tag People
- Swipe until you find the photo you want to tag someone
- Choose the user.
- Tap Share or the sign.
How Do You See the Photos in Your Feed?
Once the post is shared, you’ll see the first photo or video and a row of dots below, that indicate the number of pictures up to 5. Your followers can swipe left to see the rest of the photos or videos you’ve shared.
The first photo or video from your post will appear in your profile with the icon in the top right.
To see the post, tap it from your profile and swipe to see all the photos.
Image source: Instagram
People can like and comment on your post just like a regular post. Comments and likes appear on the entire post, rather than on the individual photos and videos that are part of your post.
Can you add more photos to an existing Instagram post?
Sadly, once you publish your post, you cannot add more photos. If you want to grow your album, you’ll need to delete the post to publish it again or create a new one with all the photos you want to add.
How do I add, edit or delete the caption of an existing Instagram post?
- Tap the three dots above your photo or video
- Tap Edit
- Edit or add a caption to your post
- Tap Done (iPhone) or for Android
How to add multiple photos to your Instagram Story
You have two options to add multiple photos to your Instagram Story:
- Create a collage with a collage app.
- You can download a collage app from the app store that will let you play with different layouts. The one that we like is called, appropriately Layout.
- Use the multiple image function.
- Select multiple photos
- Tap Next to edit the photos
- When you finish adding and editing the pictures, tap “Next” to post them to your Story.
If you use an iPhone:
- Use Photo Sticker on Instagram Stories.
Step #1: Open your Instagram Story
- Upload a picture or choose a color for the background
- Press on the sticker button on top of the screen
- You will see an option at the bottom with your existing pictures. Tap on the “Photo Sticker” option.
- Select the photo from the camera roll. Keep in mind you can only add one photo at a time.
Use an Instagram Scheduler to Simplify Posting Multiple Photos
Sharing posts with multiple photos can make your posts more attractive, entertaining and catchy. You will also increase the engagement since your followers will spend more time looking through your images.
Yet, choosing all the images every time you need to publish a post can be a headache.
Uniclix Instagram Scheduler simplifies planning and having your multiple image posts ready to publish when you need them. Organize all the images and prepare the posts weeks in advance, saving time and effort. Scheduling your posts also helps you keep an eye on your overall Instagram strategy. Start posting smart on Instagram today with UniClix app. Sign up for your 14-day free trial.